> Besides that theoretical stuff, though, the real problem is that
> INSERT is for inserting new records into a database table.  What
> you're trying to do is UPDATE existing records with new data.  And
> there's no INSERT ... SELECT counterpart in the UPDATE syntax.

What about replace?

replace tablenamewithbaddata select * from tablenamewithgooddata;

It uses the unique index to decide whether or not to delete the old
records and insert, or to just insert the new record.

I would like more flexibility in replace but it might help with
this.

I would make copies of your tables before playing with this.

Dave