At 15:45 2001-08-22 -0400, Ide, James J Mr CMH/LGB wrote:
Hi!

My guess is that the append query is too much heavy for
Access, then try to emigrate the data (if possible)
using filter on the append query to make it with
several steps.
Other option is to use, other goods clients programs
that you find in our contribution page.

Regards,
Miguel

>My setup:
>
>Dell PowerEdge 4200 with 512 mb ram, plenty of free disk space
>WinNT Server 4.0 with sp6
>MS Access 97
>MySQL 3.23.38-nt (installed binany from mysql-3_23_38-win.zip)
>MyODBC 2.50.38 (installed from myodbc-2_50_38-nt.zip)
>
>My objective:
>
>Copy data from two large MS Access 97 to MySQL tables.
>The structure of the two Access tables is identical.  Both have
>about 100 fields, of which 20 are MEMO.  One table has about
>60,000 rows, and the other has about 500,000 rows.
>
>How I'm doing it:
>
>The server is running standalone (ie. it is not connected to a
>network, and I am the only user).  I have run 'compact' and
>'repair' on the Access database file.  I have installed MySQL
>and MyODBC according to the directions.  I have created
>an Access Append query which copies all columns from the
>Access table to the MySQL table.  Note that MS Access
>and MySQL are running on the same machine.
>
>The problem:
>
>When I run the Append query, the query starts appending
>rows from the Access table to the MySQL table as expected.
>I have an MS-DOS window open with 'mysql' (the command
>line utility) running, and I occasionally type 'select count(*)
>from TheTable;'.  The count increases steadily, generally
>appending 200-300 records per second.  Without warning, the
>number of records appended per second suddenly drops to
>about 1-2 and stays at this rate.  If I start up the NT Task
>Manager, it reports the CPU usage at 0-3%, and lists the
>status of task 'Microsoft Access' as 'Not Responding'.
>Nothing changes after 10-20 minutes, so I type 'drop table
>TheTable;' , re-create an empty MySQL table, and run the
>Append query again.  The point at which the Append query
>slows to a crawl varies - sometimes immediately, sometimes
>part way through the append, and on _rare_ occasions, the
>query will finish successfully.
>
>I have tried this with MySQL running on Linux and OpenBSD,
>and I get the same result, so I'm confident that the problem
>is not with MySQL.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks -
>Jim

For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Miguel A. Solórzano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   MySQL AB, FullTime Developer
/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/   Mogi das Cruzes - Săo Paulo, Brazil
        <___/   www.mysql.com