On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 03:19:43PM -0600, Sasha Pachev wrote:

> Just to make it difficult for people to migrate to Oracle, the only
> documentation that we provide for the PASSWORD() function algorithm is the
> source :-)
>
> On a serious note, what is it that makes MySQL not good enough for your
> application that you have to migrate to Oracle? If it already works, you have
> found your way around the lack of sub-queries and enforced referential
> integrity. Performance wise, MySQL is much faster on the same hardware in
> most cases. Perhaps you could consider convincing your management that you
> will get better value of your money if you just purchase MySQL support.

I just had a discussion with a friend who decided he couldn't care
less how fast, cheap, and efficient MySQL was; Oracle was his gravy
train, and he was not about to suggest anything as radical to others
as giving up their common gravy train.

I asked him if the "Oracle experience" he'd picked up was _Oracle
specific_ skills, or just basic rdbms skills, to which he never
replied.  But then, "Oracle" is all the recruiters are looking for on
their resumes; why would they put "MySQL" or "rdbms" there if
recruiters were looking for "Oracle"?

I just don't get it.  Oracle promises features that never seem to work
'til years afterwards, costs a mountain of money, and (for instance)
SQL*Plus is garbage compared to mysql-client.

It must be the glossy brochures.  MySQL needs glossy brochures.

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Give up Spammers; I use procmail.