I had trouble learning column permissions on Win98 because a possible bug
got in my way.  I think that there is a problem with the tables_priv part of
the user verification.  According to mysqld, I am using "Ver
3.23.39-max-debug for Win95/Win98 on i32" of the program.  I submit this bug
because I didn't read about it in my hour of searching through the mysql
mailing list archives.

Here's how I reproduce it on a database UN where user search@localhost has
usage permissions on *.*:

As root, from within UN:
1. create table Test (Trial int, Trib int)
2. insert into Test values (3, 4)
3. grant select (Trial) on Test to search@"%"

As a user, from within UN (in my case, search@localhost):
4. select Trial from Test

That caused MySQL to tell me that I had no select permission for the table
'test'.  However, if I go back to my root session...

5. update mysql.tables_priv set table_name="test" where table_name="Test"
and db="UN"
6. flush privileges

...and go back to my query as [EMAIL PROTECTED]

7. select Trial from Test

...everything works fine.  I can select the column "Trial", but selecting
column "Trib" will correctly throw a column-select error.

I have taken special care to make sure that I typed table and column names
with the perfect case sensitivity, as if I was using MySQL on a *nix
platform.  I apologize for not using the mysqlbug script mentioned in the
documentation. I've been using MySQL for only 5 days, and this problem has
made my head spin a little bit.

Also, I think this bug is the reason that something like 'grant select on
UN.Test to search@"%"' doesn't work for me, but 'grant select on UN.* to
search@"%"' does work.

Michael L. Semon