Hi,

We have a somewhat tricky problem that I need some help with.  What we have
is one machine (the master) that we use for database development, and two
dedicated nodes (slaves) on a beowulf cluster that house the non-dev
databases.

What we need is to mirror the master to the slaves, but not necessarily
moment to moment.  Once a day or even once a week would be fine.

I originally set up replication which worked just fine for a short time.
But then I noticed that replication was crashing 3 or 4 times a day.  Yuck!

I think it had to do with the heavy development on the master- this machine
is used to read in new tables from txt files, create loads of temporary
tables and in general get beat to hell.  It seemed that the slaves were
choking on some particular line from the binary logs, and could not get
going again.  Speaking of which, how to start replication at the next 'good'
line number?  I couldn't figure out how to find that line number.

Anyways, I scoured the docs, but could not find a list of what happens for
example if the master loads a new table from a text file.  Does this command
'read ... from infile...' go into the binary logs?  What happens to the
slave when it tries to read in a text file that doesnt exist?  What kind of
errors can the slave deal with, and which ones cause replication to fail?

For a while, I just figured replication was a bad idea with a development db
as the master.  But then when I tried to find alternatives, I hit another
brick wall.  A bit off topic, but how does one take a 'snapshot' of the
master db and migrate that out to the slaves?

Besides the obvious and (imho clumsy) tar, gzip and scp of about 4 gigs of
data, I thought of adding the entire db to cvs, but then there are inherent
problems with that ( try adding a 1.2 gig table to a repository when you
only have 256 megs of ram :P)

Is replication the right tool for this job?  If it is, what is the best
model for our needs?
If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryan