Well, looks like I found the culprit.

Increasing thread_cache_size from 0 to 50 totally alleviated the stress
(both on the database and our clients). Recommended by the manual,
of course.

For list-archival's sake:

FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE

/etc/my.cnf:

[mysqld]
user=mysql
set-variable = wait_timeout=3600
set-variable = tmp_table_size=8000000
set-variable = max_connections=500
set-variable = table_cache=256
set-variable = sort_buffer=4M
set-variable = key_buffer=64M
set-variable = thread_cache_size=50

top:

CPU states: 66.3% user,  0.0% nice, 30.2% system,  3.1% interrupt,  0.4% idle
Mem: 33M Active, 92M Inact, 29M Wired, 8368K Cache, 35M Buf, 87M Free
Swap: 1024M Total, 88K Used, 1024M Free

mytop (a great utiltiy, may I add) is reassuring:

 Queries Total: 129,866        Avg/Sec: 450.92  Slow: 0
 Threads Total: 3         Active: 1     Cached: 48
 Key Efficiency: 99.73%  Bytes in: 16,118,135  Bytes out: 26,368,181

Unfortunately, the application does make a new connection for every
hit, which is why thread_cache_size probably made a difference.

Out of curiousity, what was different about 3.22?

Anyway, Thanks to all who responded.

--
Michael Bacarella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Staff / System Development,