I used to be a Lasso/FileMaker programmer.  The day I decided to
switch to the all-unix MySQL/PHP/Perl platform was very telling.  I
was attempting to parse log files with Lasso's file tags.  Everything
was working quite well,  but once the log file was bigger than about
500k, it would "hang" the system for 60 seconds or more, while Lasso
churned through the file.  I decided to rewrite the script in Perl.
What took lasso (which FileMaker Instant Publishing is built on) 1 or
2 minutes was instantaneous.  The same goes for FileMaker, a search
that returns more than 100 records, or inserting more than 20 records
into a single table can take eons.  With PHP/MySQL, I can do a dozen
queries with complicated joins, in one script, and MySQL just spits
the data out in record time. (even on an old, crusty PowerMac
7600/132)...

I love FileMaker and will always use it on my desktop, but I have
sworn off if it  on the web, it's not
  meant for web-apps.

I won't even go into scalability or backups.

There are many interesting ways you could bridge the gap using
FileMaker plug-ins, or JDBC, or ODBC, to move data into and out of  a
MySQL server, if you use Macs, you could even use MacSQL Monitor and
AppleScript.

Regards,

David Dahl