Hi!

Sinisa> Jeremy Zawodny writes:
>> I have a fairly new Solaris 2.8 (Ultra Sparc) machine on which I'm
>> trying to build the MySQL client libraries.  According to the
>> INSTALL-SOURCE file, I need to use a command-line like this:
>>
>> CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O3" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
>-fno-rtti" ./configure --without-server --with-low-memory --enable-assembler >&
>config.err
>>
>> When I do that and look at config.err, I see the error message:
>>
>> configure: error: can not run test program while cross compiling
>>
>> Here's the whole thing (since the list won't take attachments).  It's
>> not too long.
>>

>> According to the INSTALL-SOURCE file, that error means "you have
>> something wrong with your compiler installation!"  But I've already
>> used this exact same compiler to bulild a *ton* of other packages on
>> the machine.
>>
>> What can I do to fix/debug this problem?

<cut>

Sinisa> Jeremy,

Sinisa> In our manual, chapter on Solaris, there are instructions on which
Sinisa> lines to delete from configure script in the case like above.

Sinisa> Just do that !

This was up a short while ago and it seams like Jeremy hasn't yet
updated our documentation regarding this.

Here is the missing information regarding this:

        If you are using the SFW version of gcc (which comes
        with Solaris 8), you must add /opt/sfw/lib to the
        environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running
        configure.

        If you are using the gcc available from sunfreeware.com,
        you may have many problems.  You should recompile gcc
        and GNU binutils on the machine you will be running them
        from to avoid any problems.

Regards,
Monty