Matthew Walker ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:

> What's the best way of doing a hot backup on a database? Our server is
> set up in such a way that it's not a simple matter to shut down
> apache/mysql and do the backup then. So, is it safe to just copy the
> mysql directories, or is there some recommended procedure for this?

RTFM, RTFM, RTFM!

That being said, most everyone I know uses mysqldump for hot backups.

Now, STOP what you're doing and go bookmark
http://www.bitbybit.dk/mysqlfaq/faq.html,
if you have time to do nothing else - this is Carsten Pederson's *excellent*
MySQL FAQ.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  214/341-4420 - http://www.pobox.com/~erc

Squished Mosquito, Inc.
Internet Applications Development
Escapade Server-Side Scripting Language Development Team
http://www.squishedmosquito.com
Pensacola - Dallas - Dresden - London