Dear List,

I have a (standard table handler ) table defined as follows :

CREATE TABLE fact0 ( d0key            INTEGER,
                     d1key            INTEGER,
                     d2key            INTEGER,
                     val              INTEGER,
                     filler           VARCHAR(200)
                   );

I then LOAD 3000000 rows into it ( about 350Mb)
This takes about 2m30s on my ( fairly old ) hardware ( I think this is quite
fast ).

Distribution wise the d0key values are loaded in order. there are 300
distinct d0keys, 300 distinct d0keys and 100 distinct d2keys.

The next step is creating an index as follows :

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX fact0_pk ON fact0(d0key,d1key,d2key) ;

Whichunfortunatly  takes about 20m ( which I think is a bit slow )

Here is my relevant .cnf configuration : ( I am using 3.23.39 compiled from
source with gcc 2.96 on Mandrake 8.0 )

[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=16M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = table_cache=100
set-variable    = sort_buffer=10M
set-variable    = join_buffer=16M
set-variable    = record_buffer=5M
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=32M
set-variable    = thread_cache=8

any suggestions ? ( as I would love to create indexes faster ! )

regards

Mark