I'm new to MySQL and I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find it so
I'll ask here.  What is the best way to backup a MySQL database that is
hosted on a remote server.

Our web site is hosted by a hosting company and they configured MySQL.  I
want to backup the database periodically.  I've tried using PhPMyAdmin to
get data dumps, but the databases are quite large and the browser times out
before the file download begins.  How can I connect to the MySQL server from
my Win2000 machine and perform a dump to my hard drive?  Also, what is the
best way to reverse the process and restore the dump from my hard drive to
the remote server.

I apologize if this question is obvious.  I've looked in the documentation,
but haven't been able to figure it out.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff