Thanks for your quick response! More below..

> > mysql> select contact_info, expired from orders where order_num = '1';
> > +--------------+---------+
> > | contact_info | expired |
> > +--------------+---------+
> > |         NULL | NULL    |
> > +--------------+---------+
>
>        ^^^^^^^^   ^^^^^^
>
>    this is NULL   this is 'NULL', the string.
>
>Check :
>  select * from orders where expired='NULL';
>
>Regards,
>--
>Don Read

  Yeah, I noticed that funny spacing (left align vs. right align) too, but
it doesn't seem to be the case:

mysql> select * from orders where expired like '%NULL%';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

  Plus, all this just started happening yesterday, after everything worked
fine for many days. That leads me to believe there is a problem with a
corrupt table or something. How about this further clue I just noticed:

mysql> select count(*) from orders;
+----------+
| count(*) |
|      499 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * into outfile 'orders.bak' from orders;
Query OK, 382 rows affected (0.07 sec)

  Weird, huh?
  -Jt.
Jeremiah T. Folsom-Kovarik