I'm trying to avoid the "Access Denied" messages when using "SELECT * FROM <table>"
when only a subset of fields are accessible. What I'm looking for is a transparent
check of the permissions, replacing "*" with a list of fields for the associated
table. Alternatively, at the layer below "SHOW COLUMNS" so the user also doesn't *see*
the hidden fields, and hence "SELECT" inherits this behavious also because it won't
security-check fields it doesn't know about.

While I don't mind adding individual fields to a query for small tables, it can be
time consuming. I think it could be a useful feature in MySQL. Any comments?

Regards,
Richard Lake.