Damned, I forgot to change the To: address again.
Sorry 'bout that.

BTW, does anyone else get lots of error messages from
[EMAIL PROTECTED]?

Oliver Krapp - etracker.de e.K. writes:

> I'm dealing with a large (think so) production mysql server. There are up to
> ~2500 small databases (each ~1-4 MB Data in 10 Tables). The system is
> growing and the CPU gets more and more loaded.

Eek, 2500 databases? As in 2500 directories in one directory?
Does the file system handle that well? I have little experience
with ext2, but I've seen other file systems turning into molasses
before 1000 files per dir. OTOH, with the traditionally messy
unix layout the FS had better be used to things like that.

> At the moment the system is running on one machine, however the concept is
> scalable. I have no feeling/experience where are the limits with mysql. When
> I have to setup the next db-server? Are ~300 queries per sec. a joke for
> mysql? It's difficult to valuate if I'm going towards the hard limit or if I
> have a problem with my db design.

The figures I've seen suggest that 300 q/s isn't all that much for a
system like yours, but I guess it depends on the queries. I can imagine
there being a horrible number of openings and closings of files if you
have 25000 tables, and that can't be good for performance.

> Are there people who can share there knowledge about large mysql servers?

Sorry, very little experience as of now. Once I get the system
I'm working on running I might get some experience of hitting
the 2GB barrier. :-o

//C

--
 Carl Troein - Círdan / Istari-PixelMagic - UIN 16353280
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://pixelmagic.dyndns.org/~cirdan/