Hi All--

We have a really busy mysql 3.23 server utilizing replication which dies
on a daily basis. The mysqld process itself doesn't die, but we have
monitoring tools that notifies us saying "Can't connect to mysql [..]
(60)" (60 = Operation timed out). The largest table has over 16 million
rows of data.

If we simply relied on the process running it would take some time for us
to notice things were borked, but with our multiple tools and graphs we
are able to catch problems rather quickly. The solution is just to issue a
``kill -TERM <pid>'' as it's impossible to connect to the mysql server,
and then start it again.

We probably have about 50-60 dedicated mysql servers all running FreeBSD
3.2/4.[0-3], and I must say I've become more and more dissapointed with
mysql lately especially related to servers experiencing many ``ORDER BY''
requests (which causes mysql to require more and more memory and
eventually crash because of it using all available memory). I wish
development on the 3.22 branch was completed before the 3.23 branch was
declared stable while IMO being even more unstable than the previous
branch.

Sorry, just had to vent a little... :)

===== System info from master replication server ======

Key_reads/Key_read_req          = 0.0486
Key_writes/Key_writes_req       = 0.988

MySQL version: 3.23.41-log

# mysqladmin -uroot -p status
Enter password:
Uptime: 25923  Threads: 22  Questions: 16546781  Slow queries: 0
Opens: 86  Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 80 Queries per second
avg: 638.305

# uname -a
FreeBSD <hostname> 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #0: Tue
Feb 13 01:06:48 PST 2001
root@<hostname>:<kernel>  i386

Regards,

Atle
-
Flying Crocodile Inc, Unix Systems Administrator