Reading The Fine Manual sec. 6.3.2: (sorry, couldn't resist :-) )

    LOAD_FILE(file_name)
        Reads the file and returns the file contents as a string. ...
        The file must ... be smaller than max_allowed_packet.

> The truncation might be enforced by the Web server rather than MySQL.
> For example, CGI.pm has a $POST_MAX variable that controls the maximum
> amount of information that can be sent back to the script.

This was my first thought as well; However, Hervé does state
that the temporay files on the server are OK.

/ Carsten
--
Carsten H. Pedersen
keeper and maintainer of the bitbybit.dk MySQL FAQ