I have perused the archive lists (on Geocrawler) for a solution to my
problem but have been unable to find an answer, so I am putting the question
forward and hoping that some kind soul will be able to give me some advice.

Scenario: RedHat 7.1 on a celeron 900 box, installed MySQL and its
components via RPM.
When I attempted to change the MySQL root user with the command "mysqladmin
-u root -p password 'new-password' " I received the following error:
"Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock '(2)' check that mysqld is running and that the
socket; '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!"
I checked the directory stated for the mysql.sock and it does exist, but
when checking the status of mysqld using 'service mysqld status' I received
the following: "mysqld dead but subsys locked."
My limited knowledge of MySQL (I am in the newbie class with MySQL) does not
allow me to resolve this issue. In attempting to solve this problem I have
uninstalled MySQL and its components and then reinstalled same but this did
not have the desired results.
I would certainly appreciate any help on this one.
Thank you in advance.

Additional question: In the archives there was mention of a log for MySQL,
where would one find this on a RedHat 7.1 system when MySQL was installed
via rpm.

Wallace Mills

********************************DISCLAIMER****************************
The information contained in the above e-mail message or messages
(which includes any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the use of the person or entity
to which it is addressed.  If you are not the addressee any form of
disclosure, copying, modification, distribution or any action taken
or omitted in reliance on the information is unauthorised.  Opinions
contained in the message(s) do not necessarily reflect the opinions
of the Queensland Government and its authorities.  If you received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete it from your computer system network.