Hi, can someone tell me how the index number on the bin logs are
incremented?

When i update my master machine the changes are still going to

$machine-name-bin.001

on my slave

its looking for Log_file

$machine-name-bin.002

can someone tell me how these number are incremented? the .00#
how often, what causes them to increment?

also another question is:

what happends when the slave machine is rebooted? when it (slave) comes back
up
does the slave update the database with all the inserts, deletes that
happended in the time it took
to boot up?  I tried rebooting the slave and updating the master and when
the slave
came back up it was just in a state of waiting for new changes.......it did
not
populate the missing data.  Did i do something wrong?

I am fairly new to replication and researching weather it is a feasible and
safe transition to go to for our production machines.