Mike Ryerse wrote:

> I have resently installed mysql 3.23.41 on Redhat 7.1
>
> When I installed it, I could access the example
> databases 'mysql' and 'test'.  Mysql said to change
> the root password right away with :
> mysqladmin -h host -u root -p password 'new password'

Note, do not put a space between the -p and the password normally:
mysqladmin -h host -u root -ppassword
  OR
mysqladmin -h host -u root --password=password

That may be why you cannot connect.

> so I did it, but now mysql won't let me log in as any
> user, not even root.

Did you really put a space in the password? Or was that for demonstration
purposes only?

> I have tried to re-install with rpm -i --force, and
> uninstall with rpm -e, neither will change the
> permissions of mysql.
>
> What should I do?

As Gerald Clark said, the manual has a section on how to reset the password.

--Bill