That would be a tough one - you'd first have to make sure every single record has no
more than two "words" in that field. there's no guarantee that a field "name" would
actually always contain only two names, or even two names at all. When I get stuffy, I
spell my name as "A. Marjolein Katsma"  - what's my first name and what my last? What
if people have first and middle name? What about last names consisting of two or more
words (Jan van der Aalst; how would you parse that)? There are countries where people
actually can have only a single name (Indonesia); there are countries where a name
always consists of three names (China), etc. The variations are endless.

What you intend to do can be done only halfway reliably by going back to original
documents or asking the people referred to!

Cheers,

At 14:36 2001-09-06 -0700, Anthony E. wrote:
>I have a tab delimited file from a spreadsheet that
>has a field "Name" (includes first and last name).
>
>I am importing the file into a table that has
>"firstName" and "lastName" as seperate fields.
>
>Is there a way to split the field from the text file
>"Name" into two different fields in the database,
>"firstName" and "lastName"?
>
>I would assume the last word in "Name" is the last
>name for "lastName" in mysql table.
>
>Thanks,
>
>=====
>--