On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:40:16PM -0700, xris wrote:

> I was just browsing through the searchable online MySQL manual,
> trying to find a list of the aggregate functions (as I don't trust
> the list in the O'Reilly book, considering the number of typos and
> missing information in other sections), and couldn't find anything..

Yeah, that book is pretty bad.

And the folks at O'Reilly know it.  They're finally working on a book
to replace it.  (Amusingly, they weren't interested a year or so ago
when I talked to them about it.)

> Is there a list in the manual?  If not, someone should really think
> of adding a section to the "Functions" area to list out all of the
> aggregate ones.

Probably a good idea if they aren't already clearly labeled in the
manual.

> On that note, I'm curious if there is an aggregate version of CONCAT
> or CONCAT_WS (and if there isn't, make a suggestion for the creation
> of them).

Something like join() in Perl, maybe?  I'm not sure quite what you're
looking for.  Can you give an example of where/how you'd use it?

> It might also be nice for whoever writes the manual to include the
> minimum MySQL version supporting the function (my ISP is still using
> 3.22 and it's annoying to learn of a cool function only to find out
> that it doesn't work when I try it)...

That's in the manual sometimes, and sometimes not.

What you really need is the manual that comes with the 3.22
distribution.  Then you won't have that problem.

What you really need to do is get your ISP to jump into the year 2001
and upgrade.  But you already knew that. :-)

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 1 days, processed 18,181,878 queries (186/sec. avg)