Hi,

> > > About a year ago, I used mysql-super-smack and was able to hit
> > > 8,000 per second on our [then new] server.  The highest I've
> > > recorded on an actual production application was around 5,000.
> > > But I don't watch the numbers closely very often...
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, on what hardware?
>
> This was Linux 2.2.x on a dual-cpu P3-850 with 1GB of RAM and 5 36GB
> SCSI disks.

I'm quite surprised that this level of performance is available from such
standard (well, not standard as in 'common', but y'know what I mean...)
hardware. The last I heard, 1K+ queries/sec was only being done on extremely
high-end Sun enterprise-level machines.

On the other hand though, it gives me some comfort that the hardware being
used in my operation will meet any future needs. We have similar spec
servers (P3-1Ghz dual-cpu, 512Mb RAM, 3x36Gb SCSI RAID5). Maybe I should try
out mysql-super-smack and see what kind of numbers it turns up. :-)

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]