From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Can/should I index a timestamp column?

Can: Yes.

Should: Why not?

> Should I treat it as a char and
> limit it to just index on the portion of the data that distinguishes the date

Hmm, I wouldn't. Offhand, I'd guess that MySQL handles time/date things as integers.
I'm pretty sure that he also handles indexes as some sort of integer based
serialization. Meaning that conversion to a string would be an extra step and thereby
a loss.

I'd say to try it a few different ways (if you have the time on this job) and find out
what works best for you.

---
Rodney Broom
Programmer: Desert.Net