> - The Perl "stored procedures" (myperl project) in not a good idea
>    at all, but, even if called "poor man's stored procedure", I
>    think that this project don't add, actually, stored procedure in
>    the precise meamning of term. It add only a binding with Perl via UDF.
>    It's a nice (and quite simple) hack.
>    Dana Power, I've not take a look to _your_ hack, but I think this
>    is the same approach.
Actually, its not. Its more along the lines of apache's CGI vs. mod_perl.
And its not just perl, its an architecture for pluggable languages ( python,
javascript, lisp, or your new pl/sql clone ), which is exactly what you're
looking for, if im not mistaken. The problem you're going to have is that
MySQL does not support callbacks into the engine - i.e. youre in the middle
of an sql call when your function gets called ( whether its udf or something
else doesnt matter ), halting everything - effectively pushing it onto 'the
stack' - and making separate sql calls, is not supported. You'll find that
the hardest part is overcoming the current 'atomic' architecture, which has
been used to optimize pretty much every part of the engine ( atomic meaning
that 1 sql call is 1 simple actions. ). Of course CREATE ... SELECT and
INSERT ... SELECT are simple exceptions, but the same reason that
Sub-Selects are non-trivial, is the same reason that stored procedures are
non-trivial.

dpk