I guess that's not the only choice...

>      I'm considering MS SQL Server and MySQL.
>  I haven't heard very much about MySQL, but from I've read on
>  the web I
>  think MySQL is Unix/Linux orientated and works well with PHP.

True, but MySQL has an exellent ODBC module as well. It's called
MyODBC.

>      I'm going to use a NT platform, with the IIS as web
>  server, and I
>  wanted to use ASP. Does MySQL fit good with IIS and ASP?

Now, with this env, you want to check out how big your application
might become and shed light on aspects like scalability, ease of
backup and restore, etc.
Especially Microsoft made some very good progress in this area with
MS SQL 2000...
OTOH, MySQL is very simple to backup / restore. MySQL is also quite
scalable when it comes to seperation of readers and writers
(replication).

Now, back to your question.
As far as my experience is concerned, the Microsoft products work
very well if left in a Microsoft-Products-Only-Environment. The big
problem that remains is that you need to understand how to install
the products in order to guarantee long life time.
I don't know about performance of IIS/MySQL vs IIS/SQLServer2000,
but I guess MS has the top hand here as well.

OTOH, if your choice was somewhat free, I'ld rather use
Apache/PHP/MySQL combination:
1st: Cheap Solution (OS + Web Server + DB all for free...)
2nd: Proven Record of Quality (PHP is the most widely used
     language in Server Side Scripting...; Apache has a
     proven record of being the most used web server...)
3rd: Yahoo uses MySQL for certain (if not all) areas, and
     they seem quite happy.
4th: (From my own experience) MySQL virtually never crashes...
last but not least: Monty and Team, and this list are very
     actively participating in helping people out with their
     problems.

Just my 0.02$,
Guus