At 01:46 11.09.01, you wrote:

>I'm having a lot of trouble tracing the origin of the problem --
>sometimes it seems that accessing a particular large table is causing
>it, sometimes it seems that a combination of factors is causing it.
>Regardless, what I observe is that within 1 minute my load level climbs
>from between 2 and 4 to over 100, which I have never seen on any *nix
>system before.   The RAM utilization is high, but not over 85%, and the
>CPU utilization fluctuates of course but stays below 40% user until
>whatever is causing my problems happens, and then it jumps to 100% and
>doesn't come down until I kill mysqld and let everything close.

hi,

same problem here. mysql 3.23.41, apache 1.3.20, php 4.0.6, kernel 2.2.19,
debian system. 1GHz PIII 512MB. load >200. my fix for now till i have a
better idea is to restrict the number of apache children to 60 which keeps
the load <20. which is horrible nevertheless. and extremely slow for the
users at times. the load normalizes (to something 4-ish, which is still
pretty high for ~50q/s) again after ~15min.

if you find out anything about that problem, PLEASE tell me. i´m searching
for ~3 weeks and i´m not smarter in the least. and it sucks :-(

at least i didn´t have that harddisk failures. yet. but then, it´s a colo
machine so power should be fine.

yes, dear mailing list, i know you told me my queries are, well,
suboptimal. but i´m not quite sure about that. more tomorrow:-)

greetings
henning