MySql being under the GPL (as I just checked on the web site), I don't see
why anything should be paid tu use it except if the owner asks for money
which isn't the case. MySql proposes paying licenses but for people who
don't want to be "restricted" by the GPL terms. So yes MySql can be used by
anyone for free as long as they accept GPL terms (even by BigFatComp
corporation that will get billions of profit from it :-) ). This implies
that you won't "hide" mysql among proprietary code to resell the whole.
Lucien