hi all !
   i have recently installed mysql3.23.41 on my NT 4.0 worksation and
running it as stand-alone.
   i wish to use mysql as a backend for a web application "jetspeed". i did
all the necessary setting changes and restarted both.
now , from jetspeed i am able to access mysql( meaning that i can
authnticate users , the details of which i had manually entered into mysql
db.....i can also edit the values(like password ! ) of these users from
jetspeed ! )

but when i try to create new users in jetspeed , the action fails and
nothing is written into the mysql.
my jetspeed log shows these errors....

[Tue Sep 11 15:01:22 GMT+05:30 2001] -- ERROR --
 Exception:  java.lang.Error: Error in
BasePeer.initTableSchema(TURBINE_USER): Cannot connect to MySQL server on
localhost:3306. Is there a MySQL server running on the machine/port you are
trying to connect to? (java.net.ConnectException)
 Stack Trace follows:
 java.lang.Error: Error in BasePeer.initTableSchema(TURBINE_USER): Cannot
connect to MySQL server on localhost:3306. Is there a MySQL server running
on the machine/port you are trying to connect to?
(java.net.ConnectException)
 at org.apache.turbine.om.peer.BasePeer.initTableSchema(BasePeer.java:232)
 at org.apache.turbine.om.peer.BasePeer.initTableSchema(BasePeer.java:194)
 at
org.apache.turbine.om.security.peer.TurbineUserPeer.<clinit>(TurbineUserPeer
.java)
 at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.db.DBUserManager.accountExists(DBUserMa
nager.java:124)
 at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.BaseSecurityService.accountExists(BaseS
ecurityService.java:292)
 at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.TurbineSecurity.accountExists(TurbineSe
curity.java:183)
 at
org.apache.jetspeed.modules.actions.CreateNewUserAndConfirm.doPerform(Create
NewUserAndConfirm.java:153)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.Action.perform(Action.java:87)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.ActionLoader.exec(ActionLoader.java:122)
 at
org.apache.turbine.modules.pages.DefaultPage.doBuild(DefaultPage.java:143)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.Page.build(Page.java:90)
 at org.apache.turbine.modules.PageLoader.exec(PageLoader.java:123)

earlier the same jetspeed setup was running perfectly well with hypersonic
sql.

can anybody please help me?

thanking in advance,

sumit.