I had a strange problem with MySQL 3.23.41 eating up my cpu, too.... I had
just done a query to the database and it ate all of the cpu and slowed down
all other processes on the machine for 20 minutes. I had to reboot the
server. It did this 3 times. Database only had 15,000 records in it at the
time so I knew it must be something I was screwing up with the query. It had
two tables in the from clause like:

SELECT whatever the hell I selected FROM table1,table 2 WHERE whatever....

Then I made a slight change to the problematic query:

SELECT whatever the hell I selected FROM table1 LEFT JOIN table2 on
table2.primary key = table1.primary key WHERE whatever....

After that, the query decided to only take a fraction of a second...

Go figure...

Robert Dayton
Unconventional Solutions, Inc.
Creators of DForce