You forgot to metion the great new feature becoming available. Secure
telnet, it never existed before very recently for AS/400.
Secure huh? Yeah. There are companies making web apps for the AS/400 that
are advertising that you can use the web and it is more secure than the
traditional 5240 clients because of SSL.

Eric

At 11:30 PM 9/11/01 -0400, Lance Rochelle wrote:
>OK mine are more respected :) j/k another point of view.
>
>1st You are assuming this only runs on Intel machines.
>    I have MySQL running on a Sun E-4500 (8 x400mhz procs / 8GB RAM) running
>Solaris 8 on a financial institution on a very mission critical application.
>2nd IBM support is piss poor at best unless you are on their 'call list' in
>which is it is almost as good as Microsoft's, plus the amount of money you
>would pay for support I better get a         Full Time SE on-site.
>3rd You are assuming that everyone runs this on a ISP budget.
>    We have ours attached to an EMC array snapshot backups, well you got the
>idea. three way mirror with another machine that is attached the EMC the
>third mirror breaks we back it up then put the 3rd mirror back in-line.
>4th a full TCP stack don't you mean a full IP stack.
>5th Java is now available, I have been using that for almost 2 1/2 years
>now.
>6th Security is best left up to the Security person (a good SA can secure a
>system) but then again the only true secure system is one that is turned off
>and locked in a closet.  Where everyone who had a key to the closet melted
>it down and it requires a retina scan from JFK.  (wait that might be to
>much)
>I do have to give IBM so credit some of their apps are Open System 'like'.

http://www.kwinternet.com/eric
(250) 655 - 9513