On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 02:13:59AM -0500, Deryck Henson wrote:

> OK, well, mysql has LEFT JOINS, right?  OK then, in that case, how
> the heck do I use them?!  I need to join 14 tables (with the exact
> same structure, columns) together and view all of there contents
> with a WHERE clause like this:
>
> SELECT * FROM t1, t2, t3, t4, t5, etc ORDER BY date DESC
>
> or
>
> SELECT * FROM theworks WHERE userid = 'userid'
>
> Any suggestions?  I need that join.  WHY?  Because it's ambiguous if
> I dont have it.

I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds like you might be confusing a
JOIN with a UNION.

JOINs are used to bring together related records ("related" in the
RDBMS sense of "related") into larger records composed of columns from
each table.

A UNION allows you to treat several similarly structured tables as if
the are one large table.  MySQL doesn't yet have UNIONs (4.0 will),
but it does have MERGE tables which allow you to combine several
tables into a sort of virtual table against which you can write
queries.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 6 days, processed 131,748,231 queries (248/sec. avg)