----Original Message Follows----
From: "Rodney Broom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: uploading 200,000 x 5 rows
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:42:22 -0700

Hi Carlos,

I'm glad to help, but I'd like to clarify several things, first.

thanx a lot ;)

 > ...with about 200,000 data about books
 > (title, clasif, year, publisher, authors, subjects, etc etc)

So you have a single file with data for multiple tables?

Yeah indeed, imagine an old bibliographical card, well i have a file with
200,000 consecutive cards.

 >   After each sequential parsing (one book)

What defines one book? One file, several records from one or more files, or
one record from a single file?

I have a file something similar to:
Classification: QAT67.0
Title: History of America          System key: tyup
Authors:   Broom, Rodney. Proal, Carlos
Subjects:  History, Social Sciences
...other fields

Classification: QE56.0
Title: Mysql                      System key: iuds
Authors:   Broom, Rodney. Dubois, Paul
Subjects:  Computer Science, History
...other fields

...200,000 records like these

After each parsing (just reading one record) i have a java object
containing:
    Book information: title, classif, systemkey, etc
    Book's authors: array of [author1,author2]
    Book's subjects: array of [subject1,subject2]

 > i upload that info to the database

You "upload"? How is this done, exactly? Do you mean that you run mysql from
one machine with the host set for another machine?

   when i begin the whole process i open a connection to the DB by java
using localhost (i work on the same machine).
 > ...but in 5 tables...

So you've split your data into sets that need to get loaded into five
destination tables, or you upload five sets of data?

the first one, i need to split into five tables.

 > (verifying duplication, ids, etc):

Does this mean that you are checking for  duplicates before loading into
MySQL?

   yep
  let me explain, i have a kind of do-while statement like these:

      open connection to db
      while (still records in the file)
      {
         parse one record
           insert book information into table book (classif, title, year,
etc)
           for(each author (current book))
           {
                 if author currently in db (through a select)
                         get authorID
                 else
                     authorID= insert author into table author (id
authorname)
                 insert into table book_author (authorID, classif) ->
relationship
           }

           ...subjects with similar "for" that authors
       }
      close connection to db

thanx again