Try to load MySQL with out --skip-grant-tables.
Then you can see what is in your pass word db..

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: David Tomsett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 14 September 2001 10:05
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FW: Stuck!

Hi,
I'm moving my intranet to a new server.  It's running Red Hat 7.1, Apache
1.3.19 and have installed mysql 3.23.36 during setup.  Previous server was
running Red Hat 6, Apache 1.3.12 and mysql 3.22.32.

Copied the mysql database files from the old server to the new but can't
access the database!
I get "Access denied for user: 'root@localhost'" and I know I'm using the
correct password.

Old setup was:
MySQL installed in /usr/local/mysql/. Binaries for MySQL installed in
/usr/local/mysql/bin/ and the files for the databases stored in
/usr/local/mysql/var

New setup:
MySQL installed in /usr/bin/. files for the databases were copied to
/usr/local/mysql/var

I'm new to the company and this is my first experience of mysql

Any help or advice gladly received!!

Thanks

David Tomsett