My Steps

Everything is built in /usr/local and untar'd using -xvf

MySQL First of course
I left this out since it's straight forward. ./configure make make install

Apache 1.3.20 Next
./configure -enable-module=most --enable-shared=max
***(This enables the DSO support) ***
make then make install

PHP 4.04i Last Config
***I tried like mad to get 4.06 to work but failed, notice the Full path to
MySQL/Apache
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql-3.22.32-pc-linux-gnu-i686/
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache_1.3.20/bin/apxs
make then make install

Uncommented the PHP4 in HTTPD.CONF and restarted Apache
./bin/apachectl restart

Made a test PHP page and tested.

This was on RH 7.0 and I updated MySQL to the .42 since this. The best spot I found
for help on installing a LAMP setup (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) is
http://www.phpbuilder.com/forum/list.php3?num=3&thread=106987&action=1&;

Here's a kicker, I only used the MySQL in the usr/local to make the config, I used the
latest RPM to run my apps from. No problems just a few extra meg sitting there.

I know there is allot of other ways to do this but this was my solution.

Cheers

M;)