powlow wrote:

> first posting to the list so hello. My name is Paulo. I live and work in
> lisbon, portugal.
>
> question : i want to create a table each month. want to call it somehting
> like 012001 for January 2001. mysql does not seem to allow this. Jan2001 is
> fine. d122001 is also fine. is it not possible to create tables with only a
> number as the name? is there a way round this?

Most RDBMS do not allow columns or tables to start with a number.  I know that
does not help your situation but it is not unusual.

Also, why don't you put a prefix on the table name that indicates what it is
going to hold?  Another developer that sees a table called '012001' is not
going to know what the heck the table is.  But a name like 'custorders_200101'
is more informative and gets around your problem.

(I would always name dates in the order of year, month, day.  Then you can
sort and compare them with ease in just about any language .)

--Bill