FYI ..

I just tried this my self with

CREATE TABLE 010823 (tstamp TIMESTAMP (14)  ,
       name VARCHAR (10)  not null  , PRIMARY KEY (tstamp), INDEX (name))

       and got ...

MySQL said: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '010823 (tstamp TIMESTAMP (14) ,
name VARCHAR (10) not null , PRIMARY KEY (tst' at line 1

The manual specificaly states in section 7.1.5  ...

Table  Any character that is allowed in a file name, except `/' or `.'.

SO this does seem like a bug .. hope MySql guys see this.  I have
looked but can't find anything about how to contact in case of bugs ..