Can someone help me??
I have been trying out MySQL beginning in June of 2001.
I use Caldera Linux and have a 4 machine LAN.
The Lan includes 3 Linux and 1 WinNT install.
I compiled the Source and installed version: 3.22.32-log on
all machines. This runs fine but I was needing the newer
features of version 3.23.40. So, I downloaded and installed
to the first Linux machine.

 Now, no matter what I do  safe_Mysqld continues to start
version: 3.22.32-log ..

Here are the steps I took to compile and install ver 3.23.40.
to the same directory as ver. 3.22.32 which I hoped would be
overwritten. I installed both versions to /usr/share/mysql..

cd /usr/src/OpenLinux/SOURCES/
tar zxvf mysql-3.23.40.tar.gz
cd /usr/src/OpenLinux/SOURCES/mysql-3.23.40
./configure --prefix=/usr/share/mysql
make
make install
 ( I did not run scripts as I had a previous installation, Right??)

I noticed 3.23.40 installed mysqld to a libexec directory, not bin..
Also 3.23.40 did not make a mysql/var directory, by but continued to
use /var/lib/mysql for data and pid..

In an effort to get 3.23.40 to load at boot I changed
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql  and /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql_server  and
it's link /etc/rc5.d/S35mysql..  Like So

basedir=/usr/share/mysql/libexec
bindir=/usr/share/mysql/bin
pid_file=/var/lib/mysql/mysqld.pid

 Still comes up 3.22.32. I've obviously missed Something.
Also I expected the prefix= switch in the ./configure to overwrite
version 3.22.32..Instead it created a sub/sub directory like SO..
/usr/share/mysql/share/mysql   Whats That????

I have a lot of house cleaning to do...
Please IF someone can shed some light on all or some of this mess..

BOb T.