>>By looking in the documentation and the FAQ I can't find out how one
>>should do to share passwords (in e.g. MD5 format) between UNIX (e.g.
>>Linux) and MySQL.
>>
>>I like to setup a MySQL database for 20 of my users on a Linux box
>>and it would be nice if they could retain their UNIX passwords. Is
>>there a tool to transfer the passwords from the UNIX accounts to
>>MySQL?
>
>There is no connection between the two.
>
>Besides, how would you decrypt their passwords? :-)
>
>(You can't just transfer the encrypted form from /etc/passwd or
>/etc/shadow or whatever into the user.user table, because MySQL
>doesn't use the same encryption algorithm.)

But wouldn't it be possible to let MySQL use MD5-hashed pw like UNIX? Why
isn't that implemented? Then it would be easy to transfer the hash...

For example when setting up a Samba server it is possible to let Samba use
the hashed pws stored in /etc/shadow (I haven't done it myself but it should
be possible in some way).

/jonap