"Mark Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I must be a moron but I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to get
> mysql to work on RH, on Mandrake it just worked straight away.

"chown -R mysql.mysql /var/lib/mysql; chmod a+rX /var/lib/mysql"

An errata was issued when RHL 7 was release, and more has been
released since for various issues.

Mysql should be started like any other service: "service mysqld start"
(which is equivalent to "/etc/init.d/mysqld start". To make it start
on every boot, do "chkconfig mysqld on" or run ntsysv/tksysv and
enable it there.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.