Hi!

R> R Talbot wrote:
R> R Talbot wrote:
R>  Still having compile problems and GNU binary
R> produces the following info

<cut>

R> bin/mysqld --help

R>  basedir:     /usr/local/mysql/
R>  datadir:     /usr/local/mysql/var/
R>  tmpdir:      /tmp/

<cut>

As you get any output from mysqld, it means that there is a good
change to get mysqld to work.

The question now is why mysql_install_db doesn't work.
To be able to help you with this over email is however not trivial.

The error you got was:

> R> I changed the dir name to /usr/local/mysql.
> R> I ran   /usr/local/mysql/scripts/mysql_install_db
> R> and got this error every time......
>
> R> faults: command not found
> R> Didn't find ./bin/mysqld

Please examine the mysql_install_script to find out what is wrong!
If you don't know how shell scripts works, please ask someone that
you know that can help you with this. To fix this should be just a
couple of minutes of work!

In general, the following should always work:

cd /usr/local/mysql
./scripts/mysql_install_db

Based on your emails, I can't however say why this doesn't work for
you.

You could try with:

cd /usr/local/mysql
./scripts/mysql_install_db --basedir=/usr/local/mysql

If this doesn't work either, then you need to take a close look at the
mysql_install_db script to find out what is wrong with your setup.

Regards,
Monty