Hi,
   I have done the following
$./bin/mysql -uroot mysql

Reading table information for completion of table and
column names
You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup
with -A
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or
\g.
Your MySQL connection id is 12 to server version:
3.23.42-log

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the
buffer.

mysql> UPDATE user SET password=password('test123')
where user='root';
Query OK, 2 rows affected (0.24 sec)
Rows matched: 2  Changed: 2  Warnings: 0

mysql> commit
    -> ;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> exit

Restarted safe_mysqld

but when I attempt to connect using mysql client (from
windows 2000), I get
Host 'my_hostname' is not allowed to connect to this
MySQL server

p.s. I am only starting and stopping mysql from Host
as mysql user.

Regards
--- Intekhab Choudhury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi,
>    I think I have one of the most basic question.  I
> just installed mysql 3.23.4x version for HPUX 10.20
> (binaries). Installation went fine, but now can't
> access mysql  (created the database  following mysql
> direction, but can't go forward....following error
> is
> what I get... (Try to access using gui from a
> windows
> box, but no access
>
> $/usr/local/mysql
> [136] ./bin/mysqlshow mysql
> ./bin/mysqlshow: Access denied for user:
> '@localhost'
> to database 'mysql'
>
> $./bin/mysql -e "select host,db,user from db" mysql
>

> ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to
> database 'mysql'
>
> Obviously authentication mess up, but I didn't do
> anything (just followed the direction from mysql
> documents)
>
> Anyway, how can I access my installation version?
> Thanks for help
>
> Regards
>
> IHC

> http://phone.yahoo.com