Hi,

I’m still learning sql so I hope this doesn’t sound to basic.

I would like to find out if there is a way to insert a record only when (X and Y) do
not exist.
I have the value to check against stored in a variable.

My table looks like the following:

ID |  X  |  Y
-----------------
1  | 10 | 20
2  | 11 | 21

ID is an auto-increment field, X and Y are INT(4).

The syntax I’m looking for is sort of like this:

Success:
INSERT INTO table_name (X, Y)
VALUES (10,23) WHERE (X <> myX) AND (Y <> myY)

Fail:
INSERT INTO table_name (X, Y)
VALUES (10,20) WHERE (X <> myX) AND (Y <> myY)

I know this won’t work, but I’m trying to avoid the overhead of running a query and
checking the result before each INSERT.
Would a  “compound primary key” help? (To be honest I only have a slight idea of what
one is.)
Can one be created in MySQL?

Thanks in advance,
Robert Martin