Hi.

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 08:32:42PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I don't know anything about MySQL, Ive just been trying(with no luck)to
> install a forum(Snitz forum from www.snitz.com) on my website. My website is
> Linux/MySQL/Chilisoft! Im running out of support my host hasn't gotten back
> with me, and Snitz support  doesn't know. So I got to messing around with the
>  control panel on my website and went to MySQL database. I clicked on: Show
> MySQL system variables. Then I could click on: Variable_name, or  Value both
> give me this:
>
> MySQL said: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'order by 'Value' ASC'
> at line 1

This means that the clicking produced an invalid SQL
command. Seemingly it wanted to run

show variables order by 'Value' ASC

which is no valid command (SHOW VARIABLES doesn't allow an ORDER BY clause).

> So I thought this might be what is keeping me from getting my forum started

I assume that has nothin to do with that.

If you are interested: The above error seems to stem from the fact
that they use a general "display this table" page and append the
wished ordering to the last run SQL statement. This works fine for
normal SELECTS.

But although SHOW VARIABLES returns a table, you may not append an
ORDER BY clause. Just a little oversight from their side, but it
should have nothing to do with other problems you may encounter.

Bye,

        Benjamin.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]