hi,
I  tried to install MySql-3.22.32 on my computer.
Operating system that i am using is Linux version 6.0.
The installation was done from a CD ,got free with the book
"MySql/PHP Database Applications" .
I had given the commands for the installtion ,in same manner as listed below

1.bash>gunzip mysql-3.22.32.tar.gz
2.bash>tar xf mysql-3.22.32.tar
3../configure --prefix=/usr/mysql
4.make
5.make install

After these commands ,book is specifying to get in 'bin' directory of the
"mysql" folder,then run the command
"./mysql_install-db",
after running the command ,i am getting the result as
Creating db table
Creating host table
Creating user table
Creating func table
Creating tables_priv table
Creating columns_priv table

TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MYSQL  root  USER!

So i tried with the commands that they had given
/usr/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new password(given as "mail")',
but after giving the command ,i am getting the result as
":connect to server at 'localhost',failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket  '/tmp/mysql.sock'
 (111
check that mysqld is running and that the socket :'/tmp/mysql.sock 'exists!."

I tried to find out 'mysql.sock' file,but it was missing.

So further procedures are terminated,
I need your help regarding these problems,hope that u reply me soon.
                                yours sincerely,
                                        nitin