David Turner wrote:

> If this is the case. What are the steps necessary for index rebuilds? Can
> I specify where the index file is rebuilt? Any idea when we can specify
> the location of datafiles and indexfiles?

For the kernel: You either need to upgrade to a later 2.4.x series kernel which,
I believe, have the 64-bit file size capability.  However, MySQL still has
limitations on the table size (I do not know about the index file size 'though,
see the manual about that).

Another possibility is to use merge tables to break your table and index files
into smaller chucks.  But that can be error prone so just be prepared to ask some
questions. ;-).

You can change the location of the data/index files in the config file and/or in
safe_mysqld.  The problem only happens if you have moved the files via sym
links.  If you move the entire directory then it is not a problem:

Okay (example):
cd /usr/local/mysql/var
ls -l
  good_db  -> ../../../path/to/big/disk

Bad:
cd /usr/local/mysq/var
ls -l
  bad_db
cd bad_db
ls -l
  table1.MYD -> ../../../path/to/big/disk/table1.MYD

When you reindex/repair, etc. table1, it will be moved back to the bad_db
directory.  The only time you should do something like the second case is if you
have multiple disks and want to put different tables on different disks for
faster access (e.g you will access all of the tables at the same time).  Of
course SCSI is best for this and/or if each disk is on its own controller.
 Separating tables on two IDE disks on the same bus is pointless.

--Bill