I have run into an intermittent problem since one of our MySQL databases
grew over 5 GB. Basically, about once to twice a day the CPU will hit 100%
utilization (and stay there) and MySQL will stop accepting queries (I
couldn't even do a normal shutdown of MySQL). The problem happened more
frequently as the database grew over 6 GB. I end up rebooting the computer
each time this happens (since I can shutdown MySQL normally) and the problem
goes away for about 10 hours. Here's a list of what I am running:

        MySQL version: mysql-3.23.36-sun-solaris2.7-sparc
        OS: Solaris 8 (04/01)
        System: SunFire 280; Single 750 MHz; 512 MB RAM; 18 GB 10,000 RPM
internal drive
        Number of Tables in database: approx. 8,000
        Last database size: 6.3 GB

The reason I think my problem has to do with the size of the database is
that we have another system that has not had any problems. It has ten times
the number of tables (about 80,000), but the database size is only 3.2 GB.
Again, no problems with this machine at all.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I would like to try version 3.23.43.
Unfortunately these are full production systems that I can't take offline
(and I don't have a spare SunFire). I've read about tables growing over 4 GB
so I don't know why I should be having this problem. My temporary fix is to
remove tables not immediately needed to keep the database size under 3 GB.
However we add about 500 MB of data every 24 hours so it doesn't last long.

(One other quick note: On the system with 80,000 tables, running "SHOW
TABLES" takes about 2 minutes on a dual SunFire box (maxing out one of the
CPUs). Is that amount of time normal? I know 80,000 tables is a lot, but
it's either that or create fewer tables having more than 1 billion rows
each.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

David DeCesare
David DeCesare          Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lifetouch                       Phone: (952) 826-5580
7800 Picture Drive              Fax: (952) 826-4551
Minneapolis, MN  55439  Web: http://www.lifetouch.com