Hi Jani and Owen,
   Owen if you are dumping the data using pg_dump,  I think I may be
able to help.  First suggestion is to dump the data and the data
schema separetly.  use,
for schema: pg_dump -sxnc -f/tmp/schema.dump databasename
for data: pg_dump -qxnd -f/tmp/data.dump databasename

The data can be fed into mysql like this:
mysql -uusername -ppassword databasename <file.dump

(don't forget to create the database first).

The data will import pretty well into mysql just as it is except for
dates.  I used the following regular expression to translate the date
format into year-month-day.  There may be a better way.
sed 's/\([0-9]\{2\}\)-\([0-9]\{2\}\)-\([0-9]\{4\}\)/\3-\1-\2/'
ken.dump >ken.new

The table schemas should be adjusted where possible and will take the
most work.  Postgress does not support Auto_Increment, but uses
something called a sequence table.   The sequence table can be dropped
if you have control over the application and wnat to make l ife
simpler for your self.   I don't remember exactly what I changed,  but
there wher some place where I had to use quotes.   Just run the dump
file into MySQL and read the error messages the fix them one at a time
with vi.  Of cource make a copy of the dump file first and work with
the copy.   The MySQL error messages will tell you what line number
has a problem.  Most of the create commands should work fine.

Good luck Owen
Ken