Hi,

Ok, so I can't get the FAQ to load. It gives forth lots of PHP errors.
Meanwhile, I have not been able to get very far in the tutorial due to
these parse errors on the examples. I am entering them correctly, I
think. Case should not matter, and here is what I get:

mysql> select version();
ERROR: parse error near '()' at line 1
mysql> select 'version'();
ERROR: parse error near '()' at line 1
mysql> select 'version()';
1 rows in set (0.00 sec)

+-----------+
| version() |
+-----------+
| version() |
+-----------+

mysql> select current_date();
ERROR: parse error near '()' at line 1
mysql>

Details:

I am running RedHat Linux of a 6.2 flavor. uname -a shows:
Linux sql 2.2.12-20 #1 Mon Sep 27 10:25:54 EDT 1999 i586 unknown

Version via mysqladmin shows:
mysqladmin  Ver 5.3 Distrib 3.20.32a, for pc-linux-gnu on i686
TCX Datakonsult AB, by Monty

Server version          3.20.32a
Protocol version        9
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
TCP port                3306
UNIX socket             /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 22 min 1 sec

Running threads: 1  Questions: 34  Reloads: 1  Open tables: 3

The worst part is that I can create tables and stuff with mysqladmin. No
problem. Even alot of commands work in 'mysql', like GRANT. But when I
try to include the password via the extension to GRANT I get the same
error as I do with VERSION(), a parse error.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Chris