For a web site with a relatively large database, I have a very anoying
problem.

  At times, the response time is getting quite slow. As a result, the
pages either time out, or even worse the user presses 'stop/reload'.
However, the queries will continue to run even after the user pressed
stop. In the 'stop/reload' case, I end up with multiple identical queries.

  In the longer term, I try to solve some of this with a proxy. However, I
was wondering if there is another solution like:

- limit the execution time for individual queries. This would allow me to
avoid the 'pile up' of queries and I could return a nice error message. I
don't want to do this global, so I can give less important queries (e.g.
selects) less time, while allowing important queries (insert/update) to
complete.

- kill the query upon disconnect. I can diconnect 'orderly' from mysql
after a certain time has passed. But the query continues to run. Any way
to automatically kill queries that haven't finished on disconnection?

  Thanks!