> How is your DNS, WINS,... setup?  SCO/Caldera UNIX can use DNS when you do
> not think it will.  Most SCO/Caldera tcp what ever will do a forward and
> reverse DNS look-up.  I can add entries in the MS machines in the hosts
> file location MS OS/install dependent and very times.

All machines have hard-wired IP addresses (only 3 on the test network)
and all machine names entered in /etc/hosts.

>  Also I can very
> performation if I have visionfs running and how it is configured.

VisionFS is running, default configuration.

>  What we
> need is more details on exactly how things are configured.  To many
> variables are unknown.  The details on how your MS machines are configured
> for networking is also very important.  Also I have noticed that depending
> on what MS patches I have installed I can very performance from machine to
> machine talking to the SCO boxes.

All of these networking issues would affect general query performance.
However it does not explain the erratic (yet reproducible) nature of how
different queries perform badly, or well, depending.